Monday, April 9, 2018

POTO #70 Notes

Wow! I can't believe I haven't written in or updated this blog since before my son was born. Fast forward 2 years later and my phantom attendance has been lacking due to mommyhood. Life of a mom phan. I missed the 30th anniversary milestone & celebration performances but I finally got to look over a busy calendar, clear it with my husband that he could watch the kiddo (since he's not old enough to go to the show with me yet) and grab a ticket for this past Saturday April 7, 2018. I attended the matinee I don't plan on going back to night performances until my son and a second kid (if hubby and I have a second kid) are over 3.

I was super excited to see Laird Mackintosh as the phantom! I've heard awesome things about him and he didn't disappoint. His voice was amazing, it had just the right haunting tone when he had to be haunting. His final scene portrayal was excellent. He had me crying, and you could hear the hurt in his voice as he sang to Christine about his life with disfigurement.

Playbill hand selfie shot stole the idea from another phan named Rachel.

I was really happy Kayley Ann Voorhes was back in the role of the alternate Christine. She is a phenomenal Christine I've seen her a few times. My brother thought she was easy on the eyes as well when we met her backstage a few years ago before a performance. Between her and Laird they nailed the final scene. I'm not sure if I'll get to see Ali Ewoldt in the show before she leaves unless she's Christine for quite a few years or comes back again after she leaves.

Racquel Suarez Groen was an awesome Carlotta. I loved Michele McConnell before she left, but Racquel bought new nuances to the role that I truly appreciated. She played up the prima donna attitude of Carlotta quite well without overdoing it. She added an interesting vocal warm up bit during the Il Muto scene which I'm not sure I've seen done before but it was great!

After an awesome show I had no time for the stage door I was eager to get back home to my son and I live in Suffolk County so it's at least an hour train ride back and that's only if I grab an express train. When my son and another possible second kid are older I'll stage door again. To my luck it's April one of two months Broadway raises money for Broadway Cares and I got to meet Maree Johnson when she was in the hallway collecting money for Broadway Cares. I think I'll plan to go in April so I can at least meet one cast member. After meeting Maree quickly this happy mama headed home until the next phantom phix which will probably be sometime in the Summer or Winter! 

Since mommy has no time for stage dooring at the moment I was happy to grab a quick selfie and meet Maree Johnson when some cast members were out after the show collecting money for Broadway Cares Charity. I think I'll go to the show every April as part of my twice a year so I can meet at least one cast member without stage dooring.

No comments:

Post a Comment