Friday, November 27, 2020

Surviving without live Phantom due to COVID

It's been awhile PHriends. Life got in the way, I stopped blogging, became a mom, focused on other things but now creativity is getting me through a rough patch in life, as if life weren't rough enough for all of us with the COVID. So inspiration struck for me to write how I'm coping or surviving without being able to see the live show until maybe Summer or Fall of 2021.

First I'd like to shout out to the people I would consider a distance phans. Distance phans are phans who don't live close enough to see the show in NY, London or anywhere on tour it may be playing. I find myself wondering how the distance phans cope until they can get to NY or another location to see the show. 

Since Broadway has been shutdown a bunch of us have suffered. My suffering of not being able to see my favorite show live pales in comparison to the suffering of those who work in the arts and have now found themselves on unemployment or back to temp jobs until they can work in theatres, concert halls and other live venues again. 

So my PHriends how are you coping with this? What are you doing to feel connected to our favorite story while you aren't able to see the live show? 

I have been listening to the music here and there, pining away for the live production. This is the year my son is 4 and I would have been able to take him to see the show and hoped he would sit still for it. I always wondered how it would be to take my child to phantom before I had a kid and now I've got to wait until he's possibly 5 to see how he may like it, if he'll love it as much as I do, think I'm weird for loving it or hate it. 


My 4 year old and myself from a recent Christmas photo shoot I did! I doubt he'll stay still for the show but he might surprise me! 

I've always wanted tattoos for a good long time but now that tattoo shops have reopened and will hopefully not shut down again, I've been using tattoos to cope with missing my phantom as well. Obsessing over them, thinking of which ones I'll get next and if I want to follow certain themes or just let the designs of many small tattoos fall into place. I am devoting my whole back to phantom of the opera. The artist working on my back is doing the black and white ballet scene for me where the phantom's shadow hangs over the ballerina dancers right before Bouquet's body drops. She'll be doing one more piece combining the curtains, the chandelier and a note from the phantom to fill in extra back space after this scene is finished. One of my artist (because I am currently dealing with 3) is making mini characters his signature and he tattooed the 1925 Lon Chaney phantom on my back in his style and the 1925 red death phantom on my chest area right next to a heart tattoo he had previously done in March before the shutdown. At least I'll have some new phantom of the opera tattoos to show the cast members should I be able to get backstage for free again once the show resumes. 

I'm going through some personal stuff as well, I don't really want to explain about it in what's going to be a really long blog, but I could definitely use seeing the show right now so it makes me miss it even more. So I've gone to creative outlets I gave up long ago, (drawing and now blogging and maybe writing again), showing off some OOTDs on social media  and music to calm me down and ease my worries a little over this situation. 

So this is how I'm trying to cope without live phantom. My Phan PHriends and non Phan friends who are missing the arts whether it's actual gallery shows, visits to the museums (which I think we are able to do now), concerts, Broadway shows let's all hang in there, try our best to be there for each other and cope the best we can without these things we love in life that give us a little sense of completion. As sad as it is, it's comforting to know we at least know how we'll feel and what we'll do when the show is off Broadway :(

No comments:

Post a Comment